Highlights from 2017/18 include:
• Donating over 2 million meals in 2018 in UK and over 289,000 meals in ROI
• Donated over 551 tonnes of food surplus from stores in UK and 273 tonnes in ROI in 2018
• Donating food that would have gone to waste on Christmas Eve – over 464,000 meals were donated from 300 British stores in 2017 to local charities and over 495,000 meals from 500 stores in 2018
• Reducing wastage in our supply chain by buying up gluts of produce, including 700,000 potatoes that would have otherwise been thrown away
• Saving 1857 tonnes of surplus stock via our partnership with Company Shop, providing the equivalent of 4.3 million meals in 2018
• Helping customers to reduce food waste by promoting WRAP’s Love Food Hate Waste campaign
We have now established our food waste baseline which stands at 1.25% of UK sales, and 1.28% of our Irish sales, in 2018. We recognise that we can do more and understanding where food is being wasted is key to driving future change. We have made progress across a number of areas this year and will continue to drive this figure down with new initiatives throughout 2019.