What we are doing next…
We want to achieve more and in 2020 we are:
• Trialling 75% price reductions of food in stores that is near the end of its life to reduce wastage.
• Trialling the donation of chilled food products with Neighbourly, so we can support our communities even more by increasing access to a wider range of nutritious food.
• Expanding our redistribution programme with Neighbourly to include weekends to donate even more food to local groups.
• Rolling out a simple and easy process for our regional warehouses to donate food via Neighbourly, breaking down barriers to donating food and reducing waste in this area of our operations.
• Trialling an innovative process to turn food that can’t be donated into animal feed.
• Monitoring our food waste more closely and engaging with the right teams to identify waste hotspots, and clear priority actions for the business.
• Removing Best Before dates on certain produce lines, in line with WRAP guidance.
Almost half a million of these meals were donated to local charities on Christmas Eve in 2019.
Steve Butterworth, Neighbourly CEO: “We are delighted to be partnering with Aldi on this programme and to help them realise their ambition to benefit those communities local to each and every one of their stores across the UK.
“Food surplus is a challenge Aldi is committed to playing its part to address. This approach is critical to ensure surplus food finds its way easily to the good causes supporting those communities that need it most.”
Peter Maddox, Director WRAP: “Aldi continues to be a very active founding member of the Food Waste Reduction Roadmap, and a signatory to Courtauld 2025. The company has set itself a goal to halve its operational food waste in line with UN goals, and our best practice guidance. These results demonstrate a company focussed on tackling food waste throughout its operations, and across its field of influence. From doubling the amount of good surplus food it donates to charities, to using Love Food Hate Waste resources on its products to communicate waste prevention messages to customers, to flexing contractual agreements to support growers and adjusting pack sizes to avoid in field food waste. Aldi demonstrates the broad approach required to tackle food waste.”
Data on disposal via other methods e.g. liquid waste disposal via drains for things like spillages in store are not currently captured by the business and not included in the breakdown of the above table. These are estimated to very small in comparison.