Highlights to date include:
• Introducing a new partnership with Neighbourly in 2019 to link all of our stores with local causes to donate surplus fruit and vegetables, bakery, long-life products and flowers. Find out how much Aldi has donated to charities, and which good causes your local store donates to here.
• Supporting our growers to reduce waste, by flexing agreements to accommodate crop failures and flushes, such as introducing larger pack sizes for a limited time to sell through increased volumes. Another example is that we also helped prevent 30 tonnes of potential food waste with one supplier in 2019 by flexing contract timings to accommodate an unexpected earlier harvest.
• Introducing 50% price reductions in 2018 on food products on the last day of life, reducing in store waste and providing even better value for our customers.
• Supporting our suppliers, via our partnership with The Company Shop Group, to save 5,193 tonnes of surplus stock to date (since 2015) that would have been wasted, providing the equivalent of over 12 million meals.
• Helping customers to reduce food waste by promoting WRAP’s Love Food Hate Waste campaign in stores, on our social media, and in our in store leaflets.
Of these 2 million meals, 495,000 meals from 500 British stores were donated to local charities on Christmas Eve in 2018.
We recognise that we can do more and understanding where food is being wasted is key to driving future change. We have made progress across a number of areas via the implementation of new initiatives throughout 2019.